PERSONAL SUPPORT WORKER
Support Worker – part time/flexible working
Please note that the successful applicant will be required to work from home during COVID-19 restrictions on movement
Hours – 7 hours per week
Salary – London living wage (£10.75/hr)
Location – Bromley (travel around the Borough will be required)
To apply – Please email CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
LATCH is a registered charity (registered name Bromley Churches Housing Action) with the mission of breaking the downward spiral of hidden homelessness and preventing rough sleeping before it starts in the London Borough of Bromley. We work to deliver our mission through three strategic goals:
- To provide safe, secure hosted accommodation to those in need, supporting them towards independent living;
- Prevent and reduce homelessness through support and personal empowerment. We do this through a provision of support and effective signposting (by telephone, email and face to face in our office), providing access to IT and assistance to raise UC applications, write CVs, apply for jobs and other housing related applications and communication; and
- Raise awareness of hidden homelessness and give a voice to those experiencing it.
We are a small charity that has seen the need for our support grow in recent years, therefore, we are recruiting for an additional part time support worker to deliver to the needs of our clients and effectively support our hosts.
To fulfil the role of Support Worker, you should hold evidence of a minimum of two years’ experience:
- Understand the issues faced by homeless or vulnerably housed people – you may have lived experience of homelessness;
- Have experience of helping vulnerable people to identify personal goals and supporting them through a process of change;
- Have a sound understanding of the support needs of people with low incomes including rent payments/arrears/budgeting and a general knowledge of Adult Safeguarding and some knowledge of Housing Law and Homeless Acts; and
- Must have a clean current driving licence and use of car (essential)
Any offer will be subject to obtaining a Disclosure and Barring Service certificate before any appointment can be confirmed.
Ongoing contact to support our Clients relies on applicant’s ability to:
- Provide high-quality support, care and advice to our clients emphatically and enthusiastically, focusing on their strengths and goals.
- Work with clients to identify their personal aims and ambitions and assist in developing plans to achieve them.
- Where provision of hosted accommodation is appropriate, obtain up to date references of prospective clients prior to placement with a host.
- Match clients to hosts (being mindful of the importance of making a good match) and liaise with both parties to organise “Meet & Greet” before moving clients into the host property (on occasions this will involve out of office hours).
- Establish a mutually acceptable arrangement using the legal Licence Agreement, between client and host.
- Submit and progress clients’ claims for housing benefit with the Local Authority housing benefit office, preparing the appropriate documents/correspondence and other evidence to satisfy the claim.
- Support clients to take responsibility for the terms of their Licence Agreement and in a practical and organised manner, to review elements of the client’s Personal Support Plan towards independent living.
- Ensure that all clients receive all relevant information concerning benefits they are entitled to claim and empower them with an understanding of their housing rights and responsibilities in order to prevent homelessness.
- Plan and diarise review and meeting times with housed clients and their hosts and develop good rapport with each client to promote trust, build confidence and awareness in the client for the importance of attending these interviews and contributing positively from week to week.
- Successfully conduct weekly, monthly or quarterly reviews by telephone or video-call and update case notes accordingly and effectively log and flag-up client concerns and complaints for review and monitoring by Project Manager.
- Support clients during move on to independent living to ensure that they maintain tenancies and continue to work towards personal goals.
Establishing good Host relations depends on the applicant’s ability to:
- Assist the Project Manager in responding to initial enquiries and interviewing prospective hosts (on occasions this will be required out of office hours; overtime will be paid).
- Arrange for the viewing of host properties taking account of other diary commitments and logging all related travel time and costs, including mileage when driving; remaining accommodating to meet needs of the host.
- Assist the Project Manager in completing the Health & Safety check in host accommodation and, all being well, to obtain completed Host Risk Assessment and Application Forms with references and ensure that this is updated annually.
- Effectively log and flag-up host concerns and complaints for review and monitoring by Project Manager.
This is a guideline of the duties and responsibilities of the Support Worker and is not an exhaustive list. Responsibilities may be enhanced and further duties added in accordance with the charity’s needs and requirements.